Friday, January 28, 2011

Flexibility

A big advantage to homeschooling is flexibilty. You can take days off when you need to, adjust the days' activities if you have other plans, and take vacations on off peak times. I need to become more flexible and this week was a good learning experience for me. As you've already read, Monday needed flexibility. Tuesday, Ethan got a cold and became very clingy. That night and every night that followed this week he has refused to sleep except when someone is holding him upright. Both me and Josh have gotten an average of 2-3 hours of sleep a night this week. As the days went on, he gradually got worse and worse. I finally broke down and took him to the doctor today thinking I would be told it was just a cold and I was being an overly paranoid parent. To my surprise he has a double ear infection and a very sore throat. So needless to says school has not been a top priority this week and I've learned a great lesson in how to be flexible.

Now I will address the "big concern" to many non-homeschoolers. "What about socialization?" Many people when they think of a homeschooled child picture a child who sits at a desk all day and studies and never sees any other children and is completely introverted and doesn't make it in the real world. In reality, most homeschoolers are very well socialized and tend to know how to socialize with all ages of children and can have engaging conversations with adults. Many are involved in homeschool groups, lessons, sports, church activities, etc. I know my kids get plenty of social opportunities. This week they went to Sunday school. Then I had one of my very good friends come over for lunch with her homeschooled children ages 13, 11, and 6. Everyone played together and they all got along and had a great time. Every Wednesday night Seth goes with his best friend to Awanas. This week we also had the opportunity to attend a get-together at our church of homeschool moms and their kids from the church. There were several moms there and lots of kids. Once again, all the kids, from teens to toddlers socialized and played together. It amazed me. My kids had so much fun that they didn't want to leave. Finally, this week we went to our small group from church. Once again there were kids there and everyone played together. So needless to say, our experience homeschooling is that the children have plenty of opportunities to socialize, perhaps even more than a child who is in school since you have flexiblity in your schedule.

This week was a challenging and tiring one, but also a fun one. Now I'm ready to enjoy the weekend with my family and hopefully get some good sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment