Saturday, January 22, 2011

Grocery slim-down

Lately I've been trying to trim our grocery bill. I realized just how much we were spending on food every week and it was appalling. Where I live, there is no grocery store competition, so couponing doesn't really work. Here are a few of the things I have done:

-I have cut way back on eating out. On average, it cost us $30 to eat out. The food isn't even healthy. $30 can buy you a lot of healthy food.
-Cut down on convenience foods. Those are very expensive
-Make more food from scratch. I have been making homemade bread in a breadmaker. It's easier than loading up all 4 kids and going to the store. It also tastes a lot better. Here is one of my favorite recipes:

Basic White Bread:
1 cup of warm water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Put all ingredients in bread maker. I always put in on the light crust setting

-Make a menu for the week based on foods you already have. For example, if you have an abundance of hotdogs, make beans and hotdogs and cornbread for dinner.
-Stretch out your meat. Meat generally the most expenive item you buy at the grocery store. Stretch out the meat you have by making soups, adding brown rice or whole wheat noodles (which is whole grain and fills you up) or adding other forms of protein like beans and cheese.

There you have just a few ideas for a grocery slim down.

1 comment: