Monday, January 31, 2011

The versatile rotisserie chicken

Here are some ideas for frugal cooking. I really like having "ready-made" meals/components for meals so they can be made quickly. After eating out too much last week due to a sick baby and the exhaustion that comes with it I vowed to do better this week. First of all, I sent Josh grocery shopping instead of me. I tend to browse and buy a lot more food than I planned on. I had him buy three rotisserie chickens. I like the taste of rotisserie chicken better than plain in most recipes but I rarely have one on hand, So I thought I'd stock up a bit. I deboned and shredded the chickens when he got home and I put them in gallon size freezer bags and put them in my deep freeze. Voila! Precooked delicious chicken ready to be made into a simple meal. With the bones and skin of one chicken I made chicken stock which I will use for chicken soup this week. I froze the stock also in gallon freezer bags. I will make delicious chicken tetrazzini with another chicken, and last night I made yummy nachos out of another. My kids loved the nachos which is almost unheard of unless it's pizza, chicken nuggets, or pizza. You could also make burritoes out of the chicken, or a casserole. The possibilites are endless. Here are the recipes for the chicken stock and the nachos:

Chicken Stock:
2 quarts of chicken broth
1 quart water
1 store-bough rotisserie chicken

Bring broth and water to a simmer over medium-high heat in a large pot. Meanwhile separate chicken meat from skin and bones. Reserve meat. Add skin and bones to the summering broth. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until bones release their flavor. 20-30 minutes.

Chicken nachos (could also be filling for burritoes, tacos, or fajitas) I used what I had on hand and it turned out really good:
  Shredded rotisserie chicken
  frozen corn
 Canned, diced tomatoes with juice
 1/2 chopped onion
 2 cloves of garlic, cut up into pieces

In a pan put about 2 T butter and 1 T oil. Add garlic and onion. Cook over medium for about 2 minutes until garlic turns golden. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until hot. About 10 minutes. You could also add jalapenos if you like spicy. Serve with corn chips and salsa.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment